“If we teach children today as we taught yesterday, we rob our children of tomorrow.” - John Dewey
Walled Lake Consolidated Schools' focus has been, and continues to be, effective instruction characterized by:
- Positive relationships within a supportive classroom community
- Relevant, engaging lessons that demonstrate the effective use of the formative assessment process (e.g., data-driven instructional decision making, timely and targeted feedback tied to learning targets, etc.)
- Strategic integration of instructional technology
- Research-supported grading practices and assessments that reflect the belief that all students can demonstrate mastery with appropriate time and support
- Adherence to a standards-aligned curriculum
- And much more…
None of the above should be viewed in isolation or as separate initiatives. Each of us must look holistically at effective instruction if we are to make gains in student learning. It is through genuine collaboration, a passion for excellence that refuses to yield to mediocrity, and growth mindsets embodied in continuous learning that, together, we can realize our mission to become the best educational system in America.
The Parents’ Guide to Student Success was developed by teachers, parents and education experts in response to the State Standards that more than 45 states have adopted.
Created for grades K-8 and high school English, language arts/literacy and mathematics, the guides provide clear, consistent expectations for what students should be learning at each grade in order to be prepared for college and career.